Saturday, September 28, 2013

Tea and Fall

Today's tea is  Sterling Tea Caramel Nut.  Is it currently brewing as I type, but it does have a nice caramel flavor, and there are bits of almonds in it.  I think I've posted about it before.

Fall is here.  We had a bit of a snowfall Friday, and even though the weatherman predicted it, I didn't believe him and was surprised when I woke up and it was snowing Friday morning.  It followed a nice heavy rainstorm on Thursday night, so everything was heavy with snow.  Trees hung low, our canopy we have set up in the back yard is fairly demolished.  The metal rods that used to support the canopy in an arching upward fashion, are now arching down, so you have to duck under them.  Since this is the first September snowstorm we've had in four years, and the temps were in the high seventies all week prior to this, I don't think anyone was prepared.

So today I have some fall yard work to tend to.  Mostly coiling up hoses, picking up all kinds of branches that broke off the tree yesterday, and putting any leftover remnants of summer away.  While it's sad to see the warmer days go, at the same time I can look forward to having just a little more time to myself.  Since now my evenings and weekends won't be full of tending the lawn and garden.

Which means that this is the first weekend since the gardening began that I have brewed a full pot of tea!  Because while I do have yard work to do today.  I don't think it will take up that much of my time.  (why am I blogging instead of doing that?  I'm waiting for my two year old to settle down and nap.  At the moment she is in her room singing to herself.)

Today is the first day the farmers market down the street is selling pumpkins.  Since I always have put it off until the last second, I have always run around town finding out that not even Walmart has pumpkins.  This year I was prepared and a week or so ago I had cash in my car, waiting for the pumpkin sign to show its self.  Therefor, I have acquired quite the large pumpkin (as seen below)  Now I must keep it safe and chilled until Halloween, and we can carve it into a large "masterpiece"

You'll also notice the BOX of pomegranates.  I love pomegranates. In fact, that bowl of seeds pictured is already mostly gone.  This is the only box of fruit I will get from bountifulbaskets.org because at the moment, I don't can, or freeze, or any of that sort of thing.  And my husband doesn't think to eat the fruit in the house as a general rule, so I eat most of it.  So a box of peaches or apples would go bad before it could get used.  But a box of pomegranates won't.  I know because I got a box last fall and I pretty much ate the entire thing.  Which is not ever something to be ashamed about.  It's not like it's a pallet of cupcakes we're talking about.

If you have not heard of bountifulbaskets.org I urge you to look into it.  It is a very affordable way to try a wide range of fruits and vegetables.  Through them I have discovered my love for butternut squash, and Brussels spouts.    Not to mention I've finally learned not to hate bananas.  Like I said, my husband won't just snack on the fruit.  I have way too many frozen bananas in the fridge waiting to turn into cookies, or bread, or something to not just start eating them, and learning to like them.

Well, it sounds like a nap is not in the works today.  Looks like I'm going to have to bundle the little girl up and take her out there on my yard cleaning mission with me.

Until next time, enjoy that cup of tea!

(Can you tell I write so much better at three in the afternoon instead of about midnight?)

No comments:

Post a Comment