Saturday, August 3, 2013

tea and..... tea.

This week I've been loving Let's do tea's Pomegranate black tea.  Seriously can't get enough of it!

So, I thought I would talk about my progression into tea.  When I was growing up, my family only drank herbal tea, and usually only peppermint tea.  I usually had about four spoonfuls of sugar in my cup and enjoyed every cup.  Once, when I was about nine or ten I was sick with a stomach bug, and we happened to have run out of peppermint tea.  I had an uncle recently visit who enjoyed black tea, so there was a box in the house.  My mom made a cup for me to help my stomach.  I took one sip and never wanted to touch the stuff again.

Years went by, I left for collage, I stuck with the herbal teas, but ventured out in flavors.  I browsed the tea aisle at the grocery store every chance I got.  If I had a bit of extra money, I'd buy a new flavor and try it.  I had quite the tea collection going.  But all of it, herbal.

It wasn't until I met my husband that I actually tried black tea again.  In the form of "sun tea".  Again, lots of sugar was involved, but I was hooked.

When we met I had been listening to the artist Emilie Autumn for a few years.  After we married I purchased the "Opheliac" companion album.  As I listened to the story behind her latest musical album, and the frequent tea breaks I actually because a little obsessed with learning to like tea.  Preferably with no sugar involved.  After some internet searching I came across an article talking about the correct steeping times, which were much shorter then I had been steeping.

Meanwhile, my tea collection grew.  Now I was adding REAL tea to my collection.  Picking up tins at Big Lots, and stopping in the tea aisle at the grocery store every other week.

For four years I drank my way through boxes of tea.  Replacing my spurts of only drinking Dr. Pepper while at work with spurts of only drinking tea.

Then one day I ordered a tin of tea from Emilie Autumn's website.  It was loose leaf tea.  The first I had ever bought.

Now, I did not immediately switch over.  It was good, but it's a pain to make. You need a tea ball, or something of that sort.  Too cumbersome for me to go to work with.  But, my weekends were a different matter.  About a month after that purchase I ordered a few samples from Old Wilmington Tea company.  I'd brew a pot and drink it all myself.  I'd do this all weekend until late spring where I spent more time outside working on the yard, and really only spent time inside to eat and bathe.

Then, in May (yes, this year) I was given a portable tea maker as a gift.  It was perfect, I could store the leaves in the top part. Take it to work, and make loose leaf tea all day as I sat at my desk.

About a month later I determined that the downfall of my tea was the water at work.  So I started bringing my own filtered water.

Now, my collection is vast.  Tea flavors I haven't cared for have been abandoned in cupboards at work for others to try (someone must like it for them to sell it right?)

I still have quite a selection of tea in bags, that I'm working my way through.  Of course the green tea is my husbands, as he has a cup every night before bed.

But I feel it will take a long time to get through the multitude of tea bags as I just can't stop drinking the loose leaf tea.


And yes, I have stopped adding any sugar to my tea.  Except for iced tea or "sun tea"  but that is a rare treat.  For some reason I don't care for my tea cold and unsweetened.

Give me a nice warm cup of tea to relax with.  It's great for those days at work when you want to cut someones throat with a piece of paper. (don't tell me you don't have those days)  Just relax, take a few deep breaths, breath in the aroma and sip.  If someone complains, I just say "I don't smoke, this is my break I don't get because of it."  (not that anyone has complained, but you must be ready at all times to defend your tea!)

No comments:

Post a Comment