Sunday, August 21, 2016

The Power of Music

Completely switching gears from last week.  Mostly because this has been bouncing around in my head all this week, and also because I'm not sure where I was going with that last week.  I had a point, but I also had a husband and daughter doing some major distracting last week.  I'm not sure I even wrote a coherent sentence with the amount of distraction going on.

So, the power of music.  There was a long period in my life, where, if I got upset at something, or somebody, I would play the angriest music I could find.  The Strand, Korn, Godsmack......  These were the bands I would crank up.  For years and years this is what I did.  And it never really helped except prolong the anger.  I would leave work, crank up the music, and arrive at home furious.  Do a bit of Turbo Jam, and my shoulder would be sore for a day or two from how hard I was punching the air.  But I was still upset about whatever it was.

This year I decided to try a different approach.  I call it my "Just shake it off" playlist.  Anytime something upsets me, I play this playlist instead.  Nine times out ten I'm in a much better mood, and have moved on.  That one time out of ten is usually a case of it being something major that needs to be taken care of, not a situation that's just frustrating, or a person who has there head stuck up their you know what.

My playlist does have songs added to it whenever I find a song that makes me feel happy listening to it.  But at the moment my list is....

Shake It Off, Taylor Swift
Let Go, Alice In Videoland
Red Balloon, Charlie XCX
Try Everything, Shakira
Awesome As I Want To Be, Daniel Ingram
Beautiful Life, Ace of Base
Ex's & Oh's, Elle King
Roundtable Rival, Lindsey Stirling


It's a short list, but I'm usually good halfway through it.

Anyone else out there have a playlist of this nature? What songs make you happy/cheer you up?


No comments:

Post a Comment