Monday, July 25, 2016

100 Happy Days Challenge and Hello again!

I'm resurrecting this blog today.  I have found myself wanting to write on and on about various things, but never quite having the time to put them down on paper, or computer as it were.  Most of that problem stems from the fact that I can think of about 5-10 different posts to write at any given time... although usually while I'm washing the dishes.  But, by the time I have made it to my computer I'm done for the day and don't want to think.

But lately, there has been so much going on, both in my own mind, and in the world, that I feel the need to step back into this forum, if only to get my thoughts out of my head.

So today I'm going to talk about happiness, and the 100 happy days challenge.  This isn't something I've created, but something I stumbled on today.

While I'm at work, I usually have the internet browser up.  My number one reason being that I use my google calendar for everything to keep me on track, and make sure I don't miss anything, work or personal.  Another reason is because I work in video, on an old computer.  Which means render time eats up a lot of my day, and I can't really do too much else while rendering that's going to use up a lot of computer power.  Staring at the little render line can drive a person nuts, so I usually read the news on various news websites while I wait for my computer to do it's thing.

On top of that, I have the AP app on my phone.  There are days where I have other tasks to complete that I don't look online at all.  I wanted to keep up with the national stuff.  I believe I downloaded the AP app shortly after the Sandy Hook shooting.  Then earlier this year, or late last year, I don't quite recall, I started to follow an online news outlet that is local, so I could know what was going on in my own town/state.  I had the notifications on twitter turned on so I could see anything that was posted fairly immediately.

So here I am, keeping up to date on news.  Being aware of what is going on in the world.  But today I woke up, turned my alarm off on my phone, and saw yet another shooting at a nightclub in Florida. Then at work I'm reading about this horrible thing that happened today, and that horrible thing that happened today.  Then my phone lights up with the arrests around town.  I'm not sure at what point it was that my brain said "stop".

It could be that I've been binge watching (well, listening to really) Kino Yoga (on youtube) mainly her playlist on "Living the Yogi's Life"

Who knows what the real cause was, but the moment happened this afternoon when I closed the news browser, unfollowed the news twitter account, and turned off notifications in my AP app.  Then I started to google "happy websites"  because everything that is being fed to me is misery and destruction.  Blood, bullets, bombs, killings......

I decided at that moment that, while I'm not going to plug my ears and say "lalala" when I happen upon the news, I'm also not going to binge feed my brain everything.  What if I wake up in the morning and the first thing I see isn't bad news that happened while I was sleeping?  What if it's something good?  Or, just the numbers on the clock telling me the time?

So, one of the websites I found was 100happydays.com  A website challenging you to have 100 happy days.  To take a photo of something that made you happy every day for 100 days.  I signed up and started today, using my instagram account as the source of the photo being put out into the world.  Now, I was looking later at different pages referring to it, and saw a site where someone was talking about how this was a horrible idea.  that no one has an "exciting day" everyday for 100 days.  It's something that made you happy.  Not having an exciting day.  I think that, even on the worst day of your life, there has to be a tiny spark of something that made you happy, even for a moment.  The idea is that by recognizing these sparks of happiness, that you will appreciate them, and in the end be happier for living in the moment, rather than searching for happiness.

Another part of the challenge is to take the photo of something that truly made you happy.  Not something you think others will like.  So, I have decided in my posts of this challenge, that I will not explain why something made me happy, I will not hashtag the hell out of a post, I will just list the day and the hashtag for the challenge, and that will be it.

Here's hoping that anyone who stumbles upon this will find a little more happiness in their lives.

@---{------

No comments:

Post a Comment